The Book Blogger Hop was originally created by Jennifer @ Crazy-For-Books in March 2010 and ended on December 31, 2012. With Jennifer’s permission, Billy @ Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer relaunched the hop on February 15, 2013. Each week the hop will start on a Friday and end the following Thursday. There will be a weekly prompt featuring a book related question. The hop’s purpose is to give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to their own blog.
What are your favorite characteristics of a main character?
(submitted by Billy @ Coffee Addicted Writer)
I like all kinds of characters but I have noticed I get particularly excited when the book I’m reading has a main character- male or female – who…
- Has a strong moral compass
- Does what’s right even when it’s not easy
- Has intriguing flaws among his/her many good qualities
- Asks for forgiveness rather than permission
- If they can kick a$$, that’s a nice bonus
- I always enjoy a good underdog who overcomes the odds
- is determined, intelligent, and comes up with creative solutions to problems
- is snarky and, if female, sassy
- But I also like a quirky character in some genres.
That’s a good start to describing the characteristics that I love. I’m sure I’ve forgotten some, probably many.
Some of my favorite characters are:
Orphan X * Kay Scarpetta * Elizabeth Zott * Finlay Donovan * Fable * Zetian * Gabriela Rose * Taishi * Annalisa Vega * Ellery Hathaway * Enola Holmes & Sherlock Holmes * and there are many more.